Friday, August 21, 2020

Over 1 million people apply for unemployment insurance in US

Representative Image

Washington D.C. [US], August 21 (ANI): With job losses continuing to plague the labour market five months into coronavirus pandemic, the number of people applying for the first time for unemployment insurance ticked up last week to 1.1 million, reported The Washington Post.

As per the report, this was higher than 970,000 the week before.

Initial claims and new claims for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, the program available to gig and self-employed workers, both went up, reported The Post with about 543,000 new claims were filed for PUA for the week that ended on August 15, up from 488,000 the week before.

AnnElizabeth Konkel, an economist at the job site Indeed was quoted as saying that the fact that the claims are so high this far into the crisis is concerning.
"Yet the depths of the damage remain to be seen. I would definitely call it a canary raising alarms in the economic coal mine," said Konkel.

Konkel said the longer we go into this crisis, the longer people that have been temporarily laid off may not get called back.

The Washington Post reported that the data shows the number of job postings slowly recovering in recent weeks, compared with postings from the year prior.

"However, last week, postings took a turn for the worse. They had been running about 18 per cent below normal and fell to 20.3 per cent below normal last week," the report said.

Wieland Copper Products, in North Carolina, a Mohegan Sun casino in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., Amsterdam Printing and Litho, a printing company in Upstate, N.Y., and Ohio sales are the companies which have announced layoffs in recent days. (ANI)

Massive pool party in China amid COVID-19 pandemic

Representative Image

Beijing [China], Aug 21 (ANI): Even though the World Health Organisation continues to issue warning against mass gatherings, China, where the COVID-19 had originated, turned a blind eye against these advisories and allowed large-scale pool parties attracting huge backlash from all over the world.

Recently, China broadcaster CCTV reported that over the past week as many as 2.7 million Chinese tourists visited Wuhan in Hubei province where the coronavirus had first emerged. Several images and videos went viral showing thousands of largely mask-free visitors packed together at a pool party in Wuhan during a music festival.
While the Fox News reported that doubt still remains over coronavirus figures reported by the Chinese government, the Hubei province of which Wuhan is the capital, claims to have had no new domestically transmitted cases since mid-May.

On facing backlash from across the world for violating COVID-19 norms, an article in Global Times said, "Wuhan, the city where COVID-19 was first reported and the one hit hardest by the virus, is now welcoming an influx of tourists, and its economy is reviving, which local residents believed should not only be seen as a sign of the city's return to normalcy but also a reminder to countries grappling with the virus that strict preventive measures have a payback."

According to the South China Morning Post, the country has till now recorded over 84,871 coronavirus infections and more than 4,630 deaths, most of which happened in Hubei.

On December 31 last year, WHO's Country Office in China picked up a media statement by the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission from their website on cases of 'viral pneumonia' in Wuhan. The next day, WHO requested information on the reported cluster of atypical pneumonia cases in Wuhan from the Chinese authorities.

WHO reported on January 9 that Chinese authorities have determined that the outbreak is caused by a novel coronavirus. The organisation said on February 11 that the disease caused by the novel coronavirus would be named COVID-19.

There have been reports of China delaying information and warning concerning the novel coronavirus which could have helped in containing its spread in the initial days. (ANI)

3 cops illegally living in house of gangster involved in Kanpur encounter suspended

Representative Image

Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh) [India], Aug 21 (ANI): Three police personnel suspended after they were found living illegally in a house of gangster Jaikant Bajpai who was involved in Kanpur encounter.

According to Kanpur police, order to take departmental action again them have been given. They have also been asked to vacate the house immediately.

The image of police has been maligned as these personnel were living in a house of the gangster, a press note issued by Kanpur police.

Eight police personnel were killed after a group of assailants opened fire on a police team when they reached Bikru village in Chaubeypur area of Kanpur to arrest gangster Vikas Dubey on July 3.

Dubey was arrested by the Madhya Pradesh Police on July 9 from the premises of the Mahakal Temple in Ujjain after he was on the run for some days following the encounter in Kanpur, where eight policemen were killed.

The Uttar Pradesh Police killed Dubey in an encounter on July 10 after he 'attempted to flee'. (ANI)

Other Posts